February 21, 2019

Skirrrt, Skirrrt.

A trend worthy of investment...


The 90's era is still well and truly inspiring the fashion scene and everywhere you turn theres a silky midi skirt on the gram. Usually trends in fashion can be here one minute and gone the next, giving us moments in style to look back on and inwardly cringe about (I for one regret the season I turned all my tights into crop tops and most recently...cycling shorts 🤦🏽‍♀️) but I believe the slip midi skirt will become a wardrobe staple. I first spotted this trend on bloggers who are rich rich; incredible pieces by Reformation, Ganni, Realisation Par and Annie Bing that are totally outside my budget. Over time the high street began making their own versions and before I could get my hands on it, Topshop's slip skirt sold out twice within 48 hours of its online launch! 

So I bit the bullet and ordered this version from La Redoute. Now I hate to speak negatively about brands, but I always want to be honest with you guys, plus to be clear I'm speaking specifically about this skirt not the brand in general. I bought it on sale with an extra 10% off on top of the sale price, thank you Black Friday, so it was sad when the quality of the skirt did not match up to its original £59.00 price tag. The zip was stubborn, the waistline was poorly stitched and the hemline did not flatter my shape or flow well around my legs, but thats just my opinion. 

I had considered keeping it; do you ever do that? Just keep an item because its "not that bad" and you convince yourself "I'll make it work" but lets face it those kind of items rarely leave the wardrobe, gathering dust and eventually being sold, given away to a friend/family or donated. I realise its better to keep items that spark joy and make you feel good...hey that Netflix 'tidy up' woman might be on to something...


Sometimes I forget about how great a shop is and then *bam* it pulls out all the stops. Whats not to love about this skirt? Pros: It has an elastic waistband ✔️ gives you a flattering silhouette ✔️ great length ✔️ only £19.99! ✔️✔️✔️
Cons: the available colour-ways are so gorgeous its so hard to choose just one!

Nude pink or black? They both look so good with my chunky Primark roll neck and either my Nike Cortez's or Nike M2K Techno sneakers. 

I've put myself on a tight budget so in the end I kept one...the black. Its a practical colour that will go with just about everything and even though its black I don't feel like this piece is in any danger of becoming boring. 
And if like me, you're super conscious about your lower limbs and spend most days in trousers but wish you wore dresses/skirts more often, then the midi length is perfect style-territory for your comfort zone. I recommend it!

My top 3 styling tips:

1. Wear yours with a graphic tee layered underneath a cozy oversized cardigan.
2. Pairing it with a knit jumper, like mine, is a flattering and cozy look for all body shapes. Belt up to accentuate your waist. A tip I'll always remember from the Gok Wan days!
3. Footwear? - sandals, trainers, loafers or boots - its your choice, they all work!


Will you be adding a slip skirt to your wardrobe?

No comments:

Post a Comment